Friday, August 10, 2012

Free


It’s like getting out of college had me blasted into space moving at however many thousands of miles a second away from everything I’ve ever known about security and the future and the world.  I felt the acceleration all through high school.  It was building.  At least that’s what everybody told me.   

Then graduation.  Just a curve in the pneumatic tubes pushing me along my lifeline.  It took more air to move me along in college but I kept accelerating more quickly.  I went from being a willing passenger begging for an increase in speed to trying to grab hold of something, anything that would slow it down enough for me to make important decisions.  The faster I went the faster I went as my entrance to the real world became imminent.   

Then, I was there.  Graduated again.  Floating.  Searching.  If gravity would have been present I would have prayed for a parachute.  Instead, I waited for a meteor or comet or whatever to come close enough for me to hang on to it and let it drag me away from the sun.  Initially, you feel the change in direction and it feels like an improvement.  Then you get used to the speed.  Millions of miles an hour is no longer desired.  I would settle for the same rate, but only if it was moving in a direction.  Space is cold out past the planets.  Orbiting on this rock will not take me any closer to the warm center of the dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment