Monday, August 27, 2012

There's a time and a place


Somebody came over to hand John some paperwork and asked how he was doing.  He sighed and said fine obviously hoping for more questions.  He got one about Halloween and skirted it and started talking about his wedding.  I’m sure he's frustrated with the planning, but just say fine and get on with it.  Nobody cares about your drama. 
Sadly, I’m wrong.  People want to hear it.  They want to be involved.  Everybody wants to be a part of something.  Even if it is someone else’s misery.  I just overhear / eavesdrop, whatever you want to call it.  I try not to involve myself too much.  


Later I heard him talking to his sister through a clenched jaw.  I don’t get why his she has to be so involved in the whole thing.  Probably for the same reason that people want to hear about all his problems.  THE WORKPLACE IS NOT THE ARENA FOR THESE CONVERSATIONS. 
“We’re gonna get gifts from these people and then Jackie is going to get mad when we open them and she’ll ask who all these people are and why they were there.”  Jesus.  Gift horse lookers. 
“Do you know why I don’t think I could tell Jackie about all this?  Because it seems like, to us, that this wedding is not about us at all, it’s about everybody else.”   
Nope, you’re wrong, it’s about Jackie, and you fucking know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment