Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Reprieve #1


He’s gone.  John’s gone for two weeks while his clusterfuck of a wedding plays out.  He’s gone and his cubicle is vacant and dead like a powerless robot.  A sign is draped over his monitor like a toe tag or a hood on an execution victim.  His “wedding countdown” on his whiteboard, the countdown inspired by my daily baseball stat tracking, is gone.  Counted down.  Dwindled to marriage.  Now, the only thing on the board is a picture of his house that he drew.  Were it not for me, the thing would look wonkier than you can imagine.  Somehow, he got through primary and secondary schools and college without any concept of perspective.  Something tells me he’s not the most artistically inclined individual.  Or perceptive.  He seems to be just a ball of clay waiting to be slammed into somebody else’s Play-Doh press.  Jackie will make him a multicolored pile of spaghetti with no hope of regaining his original shape and consistency.  If he ever had one.  I think he likes the way he thinks it makes him look.  That can be the only explanation.  
 Anyway, he’s gone.  How does someone step into his empty cube and start a conversation with me about him.  These people must think we’re friends.  Honestly, he talks about himself so much, I would rather not add any of my words to the fray.  I don’t know how I could compliment him any more than he already does.  So how the hell did I have an entire conversation based on his dogs and his upcoming wedding and that fucking drawing of his house?  And what kind of question is, “You going to the wedding?”  A simple one, I guess.  But doesn’t it imply that I am an important enough person in his life to be invited to his wedding?  The question hinges on this assumption.  The truth is, I thanked Whomever when I found out they were at capacity and I had not received an invite.  No chance of having to say no, I thought.  But it’s still an entirely too presumptuous question. 
            And even if I had been invited and was excited to go, I’m not sure a conversation about him would be what I was looking for late on a Friday afternoon.  Yes, his absence makes my job busier.  It gives me a bit more accountability.  But I would be better off without him here.  I would have to know the answers instead of asking the questions.  Instead, I let him have his dominant role.  I don’t want his responsibility.  What I do want is my own personality.  People who see me here see me with John.  They assume we spend time together outside of work.  They assume we know everything about each other and are interchangeable.  Well, they assume I am interchangeable.  “Well,” they seem to say, “John’s not here, but I can have this same shared interest conversation with Matt.  He’ll know the ins and outs of John’s dogs’ lives.”
The saddest part is that I did.  I knew the answers she was looking for.  I fulfilled her conversational needs just enough to keep her from realizing that John was gone this week.  I don’t know that people ever really see me here.  They see That-Guy-That-Sits-With-John.  They see my long hair and my green hoodie.  If they look closely, they could see that my pants go unchanged to ease my morning routine.  Or that I shave about once a week.  They could see that, while I do exemplary work and nobody complains about me, I don’t have a particular gusto for my job.  They can see that I avoid work friendships that transcend nine-to-five confines so I can forget about this place every night until the next morning.  But, instead, they see someone else who hasn’t heard the story of their “crazy” weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment